Standing with New York and Texas Communities Affected by Violence
2019 closed much like it started, with acts of violence against communities of faith highlighting the rise of anti-Semitic attacks around the world and the rise of gun violence facing our communities.
The Parliament of the World’s Religions wants to extend our heartfelt prayers to the victims of the anti-Semitic attacks that took place this past week in Monsey and the state of New York, as well as the victims of the West Freeway Church of Christ attack in White Settlement, Texas. We stand firmly with the communities affected and the Jewish and Christian communities around the world.
The Parliament remains strictly committed to a culture of non-violence and respect for life, as agreed upon on our signature document Towards A Global Ethic.
"All people have a right to life, safety, and the free development of personality insofar as they do not injure the rights of others. No one has the right physically or psychically to torture, injure, much less kill, any other human being. And no people, no state, no race, no religion has the right to hate, to discriminate against, to ‘cleanse,’ to exile, much less to liquidate a ‘foreign’ minority which is different in behaviour or holds different beliefs.”
- Towards A Global Ethic: A Declaration of the Parliament of the World’s Religions
We invite our colleagues from around the world to remain mindful of persecuted communities in your neighborhoods and to commit to a future of action against the rising trend of hate and violence.
Explores ways that you can help communities affected:
• Connect with communities affected in your neighborhood.
• From the New York Times - How to Protect New York’s Jews
• From the Anti-Defamation League - Support the #ShareTheLight Campaign
• From Interfaith Youth Core -
• IFYC Alum Rabbi Josh Stanton talks about interfaith Cooperation in Judaism
• Facing History And Ourselves offers resources about anti-Semitism and religious intolerance
• Build your awareness of the working definition of anti-Semitism from The International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance