The Parliament invites you to join the celebration of the Temple of Understanding's 60th Anniversary by participating in FORUM2020: Science, Spirituality, the Climate Emergency and Our Future & Global Interfaith Prayer Service for the Earth. The celebration brings together world religious and spiritual visionaries, Indigenous leaders, scientists, and youth environmental activists to address the urgency of the climate crisis with strategies for inspired collective action.
On Friday, October 16th the Forum will feature Science, Spirituality, the Climate Emergency and our Future from 10am-1pm EST.
On Saturday, October 17th the Forum will feature Global Interfaith Prayer Service for the Earth from 10am-11:30am EST.
Over forty international speakers will be offering their wisdom and perspectives through keynote addresses, diverse panels, inspiring prayers and sacred music. Keynote speakers on the Climate Emergency will include Chief Arvol Looking Horse, Eda Zavala Lopez, Chief Oren Lyons, Grandmother Mona Polacca, Dr. Vandana Shiva, and His Holiness Gyalwa Trungrum Rinpoche. FORUM2020 presents three short panels at 30 minutes each; expect fast conversations, stating of climate emergency dire facts and hopeful resolutions and plans of action.
State of the Earth
A diverse group of prominent scientists, academics and religious/ interfaith leaders will discuss our current state of affairs regarding the climate from different perspectives.
- Dr. Mary Evelyn Tucker, Coordinator, Forum on Religion & Ecology, Yale University.
- Imam Saffet Catovic, Founder, Green Muslims of New Jersey, Founding Board Member of the Global Muslim Climate Network.
- Dr. Tyrone Hayes, Professor of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley.
- Rev. Susan Hendershot, President, Interfaith Power & Light
- Dr. Charles McNeill, UN Environment Programme, Interfaith Rainforest Initiative.
Women in Leadership on the Environment
Our second panel addresses the topic with a dynamic group of community, grassroots, former government, and major global organization leaders.
- Prof. Azza Karam, Secretary General, Religions for Peace.
- Dr. Erin Lothes Biviano, Program Director, Associate Professor, College of Saint Elizabeth.
- Lyla June, Diné & Tsétsêhéstâhese Nations; Environmental Anthropology, Stanford University; Co-founder, Taos Peace and Reconciliation Council.
- Audrey Kitagawa, Chair, Parliament of the World Religions.
- Rabbi Ellen Bernstein, Shomrei Adamah, Keepers of the Earth, National Jewish Environmental Organization
- Heather McTeer Toney, Former Regional Administrator EPA Southeast Region under President Obama; National Field Director, Moms Clean Air Force.
Intergenerational Wisdom & Our Future
With a powerful group of mostly younger generation organizers of national and international organizations, we learn about what these popular action-based programs are implementing now.
- Isha Clarke, Co-founder & Youth Organizer, Youth Vs Apocalypse
- Zanagee Artis, Cofounder, Zero Hour
- Kehkashan Basu, Youth Ambassador World Future Council, Founder & President Green Hope Foundation
- Marlow Baines, Youth Director, Earth Guardians
- Nigel Savage, Founder, Hazon, Jewish Lab for Sustainability.
The Global Interfaith Prayer Service for the Earth will be a morning of prayers, affirmations and contemplations offered by Indigenous and world religious leaders and sacred music by renown international artists including Yungchen Lhamo (photo), Samir Chatterjee and Steve Gorn, Marble Collegiate Church Choir, Marble Collegiate Church Gospel Choir. Prayer contributions will be offered by Dr. Michael Bos, Imam Saffet Catovic, Rev. Fletcher Harper, Lyla June, Rev. Victor Kazanjian, Chief Arvol Looking Horse, Eda Zavala Lopez, Chief Oren Lyons, Grandmother Mona Polacca, Chief Redhawk, Rabbi David Rosen, Sadhvi Bhagawati Saraswati, Dr.Jyotsna Singh, Venerable Dr. Yifa.